Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day Two

Tuesday was interesting because we had our first site visit. Even after a pretty early Monday night, I still had trouble getting accustomed to a normal sleep schedule. Tuesday morning we had a guest lecture at UEF about urban planning. After having spent some time in the city it was interesting to see what problems the Vietnamese perceived.

We had lunch at the school's Cantin again and then went to Phu My Hung for the afternoon. It was a really far car trip, and I had no idea what to except from this developmental company. I was shocked to discover that they were essentially building what I consider a city within the city. In the area known as South Saigon they had cleared wetlands and were building new residential areas to attract people away from the overcrowded cities. I had never really seen a project of this type in the US, so i thought it was especially interesting.

The drive back to the hotel was in rush hour, so it took a very long time. It made me wonder how often I would leave my neighborhood if i moved to South Saigon. For dinner, we all ordered pizza (very American, we know) and then we went out as a group to get to know the city and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment